It’s so easy to take beauty for granted—especially the beauty of a particular place. I would know.
I spent my teen years pouting, criticizing, studying, and dreaming away my time in the suburban town I grew up in on Long Island, New York. A few years later, I “finally escaped” and started college Providence, RI, and had an incredible academic and social community at my doorstep, but although my transcript looked lovely and declared me physically present, honestly, I honestly wasn’t much happier. Why? Because like so many of us, I mistakenly thought happiness was elsewhere. (When of course, it’s a choice we can make, wherever we may be).
Fast forward just a few years, and I can now say I’ve spent months in France, Italy and Poland and New York City. As for the present moment? For right now, I’m on Long Island, in the suburban town in which I grew up. And I can honestly say that these days, I’m so, so happy.
Why? Because I am in love with the present moment, and acutely aware of the incredible opportunities I have to celebrate my life, and the lives of others, each and every day.
My hangout spot this afternoon isn’t Soho House; it’s my local Main St. Starbucks. The park I might go for a walk isn’t the Jardin de Luxembourg, it’s the Bayard Cutting Arboretum.And for right now, I’m absolutely positively more than ok with that. I’m so grateful to have the opportunity to start something I love dearly (She’s Very Chic!), and I know I have the choice do all sorts of small things that elevate the everyday for myself and those around me. I recognize that my life is full of incredible luxuries, and if you’re reading this now, I have a feeling yours is too.
Without further ado, here is today’s list!
10 things to do today (wherever you are) because you can:
- Eat fabulous foods that nourish your body and soul, because you can. (Fruit bowl, anyone?)
- Buy yourself flowers, because you can. (Trader Joe’s is fabulous for “cheap + chic” bunches!)
- Wear natural fabrics, especially silk & cashmere—especially if you’re “just” at home, because you can. (Grab that gorgeous knit. It’s sweater weather, Beauty!)
- Write someone a beautiful card, because you can. (Especially a thank you card. Because there is indeed “always something to be thankful for”.
- Tidy up your kitchen/bathroom/home, because you can. (I know, but you’re worth a clean, organized space!)
- Wear beautiful, comfortable shoes, because you can. (And want to!)
- Take photos—of others, and yourself, because you can. (Chances are, you look even more amazing than you think!)
- Go for a walk somewhere beautiful, because you can. (There is beauty to be found everywhere—sometimes you just have to put a little bit more effort into finding it.
- Start something positive and empowering (especially a conversation), because you can. (Start here, in the comments section if you like!
- Choose kindness, because you can. (At the very least, be a nicer driver? More peace=more CHIC!)
And finally, give yourself permission to feel beautiful. Because you are.
What are you doing to seize the day today? LMK! The “I” in CHIC here stands for “Inspired”, and I love feeling inspired by you.